Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Angry Vinny

At my first home group we had a member named Angry Vinny. Angry Vinny called himself Angry Vinny. I recall he used to say that he got enough from today's meeting to make it to his next meeting. Though that was valuable to me, that wasn't what I identified with.

Angry Vinny also shared that one night, while having an alcoholic black out he combined it with a rage-filled red out and systematically blew out all the windows in his house with a shotgun - while his wife and children cowered beneath the furniture.

I understood exactly what Angry Vinny was talking about. From that first time I heard him say it until today I remain grateful I haven't had a red out and a black out simultaneously, YET!

I also remain willing to do whatever it takes to avoid the frame of mind that could take me there.

The topic at the last two meetings was - you guessed it - anger.

The solution to anger, for me, has been the Twelve Steps of recovery. Thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment