Thursday, March 19, 2009

Get Busy Living

Or Get Busy Dying...

Is the saying that first came to mind once I'd read Mary's Weds. night post. And I don't do enough "Get busy living." (In mho lol)

Not for lack of trying. Trying and failing too often led to discouragement. Which brings up the thought of Father Martin and the aggravating feeling that it was his passing which was my final post at the last A Dozen Steps. Aggravating enough I won't even glorify it with a link. I will though, be happy to link to Fr. Martin's site and his remembrance.

Fr. Martin taught me that to try and fail, try and fail, try and fail, led to discouragement. Getting discouraged again and again led to quitting. And, for me, quitting leads back to alcohol.

I have a trait/instinct/shortcoming which occasionally drives me up a discouragement wall. Mary actually speaks to it without trying.

I won't attempt to explain it but, since I am certain I am not alone, I'll pose this question...

Do you believe in this saying?

"It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all."

Personally, I have a huge, huge dislike for that saying, verging on hatred. How about you?

Btw, Fwiw, yes, HP and I, sponsors, advisors and I, have spent many hours discussing this coupled with working on all the dependencies that accompany it. Yet, this one remains stuck in my craw.

2 comments:

  1. Mark, I do not know why you're not on my 'roll, but I'll take care of that...Thanks for the visit and the kind? words -grin!

    1. For me, It is better to have LOVED (I have!) and LOST (I have!) than to never--I can't even write those words!!!-grin!

    2. Since I missed my first adolescence, I am now working on my second, in AA, and it is rather fun...although at times risky. Because I just do not know how! H.O.W., Oh! is THAT how? Why didn't you SAY so?

    3. But I'm learning...time takes time, even if it DID all happen in that split second imho (again!)

    Steve E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long story Steve... there was another "A Dozen Steps" that started long ago in a far, far away galaxy - oh, you get it, doncha?

    Thanks for dropping in the new homestead.

    ReplyDelete