Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It'll Be Different This Time - I Swear!

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink."

I could ask what is so challenging about that statement but I know. Even I didn't understand that this means I am doomed to take the next drink... unless

"Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink."

Unless I get help. Alcoholics Anonymous has given me that help.

3 comments:

  1. Or: Now that I've been sober a long time, I know I can handle it. I now have 'tools' to keep me from drinking "too much"!

    Hey I just noticed you have Barefoot Bob on your "Special people" sidebar! I met him online about 10 years ago, and followed his "aborted" boat trip for days. He pullee into a harbor near here when his mast tore off, and I went up to spend some time with him. We had a good old time, mainly talking, sitting on his Cat (without it's main mast!)

    I played violin for him right on his boat, and enjoyed the whole time. We corresponded a bit after that.

    He is exactly my age (76 in May) and has same number sober years (35 this past March)
    Just thought that all would interest you. He is one of MY favorite people also, linked on my blog ALSO!

    When I was up in Montana I almost got over to see him, but time constraints prevented that. Anyway, I have frequently used his site for newcomer "training", if they are computer users. Hey, I'll get off here, nice talking with you--especially since you cannot answer, and butt in -grin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - "too much." LMAO... and I can too butt in :)

    I can't tell from your written words but it "sounds" like you might not know. Bob passed this January. I've been visiting his world since I got online in '97. It certainly can be used for newcomers! Great site...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mark...I did NOT know. Thank you, I'll be aware of that when I speak of him. But I have nothing but admiration for him. Oh my. You discerned that from the way I wrote--that I didn't know. Thank you.

    We've been away, and I'm just catching up on older blog entries

    ReplyDelete