Monday, April 27, 2009

I Want To Pay Attention To This

Bob Pearson at the 1986 General Service Conference (found at Facebook)...
I echo those who feel that if this Fellowship ever falters or fails, it will not be because of any outside cause. No, it will not be because of treatment centers or professionals in the field, or non-Conference-approved literature, or young people, or the dually-addicted, or even the "druggies" trying to come to our closed meetings. If we stick close to our Traditions, Concepts, and Warranties, and if we keep an open mind and an open heart, we can deal with these and any other problems that we have or ever will have. If we ever falter and fail, it will be simply because of us. It will be because we can't control our own egos or get along well enough with each other. It will be because we have too much fear and rigidity and not enough trust and common sense.

If you were to ask me what is the greatest danger facing A.A. today, I would have to answer: the growing rigidity -- the increasing demand for absolute answers to nit-picking questions; pressure for G.S.O. to "enforce" our Traditions; screening alcoholics at closed meetings; prohibiting non-Conference-approved literature, i.e., "banning books"; laying more and more rules on groups and members. And in this trend toward rigidity, we are drifting farther and farther away from our co- founders. Bill, in particular, must be spinning in his grave, for he was perhaps the most permissive person I ever met. One of his favorite sayings was, "Every group has the right to be wrong." He was maddeningly tolerant of his critics, and he had absolute faith that faults in A.A. were self-correcting.

And I believe this, too, so in the final analysis we're not going to fall apart. We won't falter or fail. At the 1970 International Convention in Miami, I was in the audience on that Sunday morning when Bill made his brief last public appearance. He was too ill to take his scheduled part in any other convention event, but now, unannounced, on Sunday morning, he was wheeled up from the back of the stage in a wheelchair, attached with tubes to an oxygen tank. Wearing a ridiculous bright-orange, host committee blazer, he heaved his angular body to his feet and grasped the podium -- and all pandemonium broke loose. I thought the thunderous applause and cheering would never stop, tears streaming down every cheek. Finally, in a firm voice, like his old self, Bill spoke a few gracious sentences about the huge crowd, the outpouring of love, and the many overseas members there, ending (as I remember) with these words: "As I look over this crowd, I know that Alcoholics Anonymous will live a thousand years -- if it is God's will."
I can be waaaaay too rigid!

[btw - Micky, you complete a-hole, I am not gay but that doesn't mean I judge those who are. Not like you, you anti-Christ nothing.]

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for Bill W.

    I'm sure Mickey, aka "devil incarnate" will now cease and desist...if I really thought he was human I would be SO ashamed to not be an insect, or a farm animal, or a bird--that's it! A bird! So's I could dump on him! I'd call it "Shit-on-Shit".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've let it ride one too many times - for me. That asshat ought to be damn thankful he doesn't live in the USA...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always open to accomodate someone in an AA meeting who identifies themselves as an addict. I'm an addict too. I'm addicted to alcohol, nicotine, sugar, etc...

    ReplyDelete