Monday, May 18, 2009

No Absolutes Eh?

There are those who are willing to countermand good solid experience in Alcoholics Anonymous. Yep! Sorry to burst your bubble :)

The question was (basically) "my mom can't be here on my 60th day so, is it all right to pick up my 60 day chip on my 58th day when mom is here?"

And the wise (imho) responses said "no, it isn't okay because we haven't earned 60 days in 58 days."

To which someone replied "Oh No! Are you the A.A. police? How dictorial! I don't give any absolutes to my sponsees and you're giving an absolute?"

For which my thoughts are;

Death is an absolute, fool! Death erases all hope and opportunity and even the bs. Death is absolutely - THE END!

To drink is to die...

What is it about working a program that is proven to work that you don't understand? What is it about working a program that has been proven NOT to work (YOUR program) that you've seemingly forgotten?

8 comments:

  1. Mark, you wrote: "And the wise (imho) responses said "no, it isn't okay because we haven't earned 60 days in 58 days."

    How true, with one exception. I do not earn nor have I ever "earned" sobriety. It is strictly a gift, from God, who speaks to me throught the members of AA.

    I, too, like to hear from the long-timers. In fact, sometimes I disagree with a longtimer at home group, especially when I hear Pride/Ego talking instead of God/humility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mark. If they are not out of good ideas and still running the world, God alone can help them. 58 days is not 60 days... and who brings their mom to 60 days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steve but... actually I quoted what someone else had said and I believe it carries the same effect. Besides, I was responsible for the effort. God don't row...

    Thanks again MC :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I still come by to see if you post anything. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am removing the link to you on my sidebar, and it pains me to do so. Would love to hear from you. I hope you are OK.

    ReplyDelete