Sunday, May 10, 2009

How Interesting... Getting Unfriended

Feelings aren't factual! That's right...

This feels strange. It's the social phenomenon called Facebook, friends, and then getting unfriended. You notice that a person can be added as a friend but say to yourself "wait a minute, we're already friends. What's up with that?"

Well, silly me, I keep my confirmation emails. And darn if it isn't right there! On April 20th. Yep, we were friends. But now we're not anymore. Hmmmm???

So, the first, initial feeling is really WTF? What did I do to be unfriended? And the answer is - NOTHING AT ALL!

The truth behind it no longer makes a difference, to me. If this person felt something towards me that caused them to unfriend me, it most certainly was their feeling, not mine. There was nothing in our interactions that gave cause for resentments. We barely know each other and that is simply from meetings.

Besides, true friends? True friends communicate, talk things through, work the Steps on the situation, show respect and forgive. True friends understand that humility is a priceless quality in recovery. True friends "take a beating and keep on ticking."

I am reminded that "if God is for me, who can be against me."

And I remember that, today, sober, I am capable of having friends.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I've been unfriended a number of times and I don't know by whom. It doesn't matter and I probably don't need to know.
    Life's too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting topic--this "unfriending" deal. My wife got unfriended by a former business associate and that was my first experience seeing the phenomenon take place. You are right though...it's not like it is a "real" friendship. In many cases, a Facebook friend is not a true friend...but sometimes they are or I guess they could be??? Anyways, let them unfriend me if they want to...(not you Mark)...it's like, "Who cares?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends--something I really need. For so many years I avoided any of that 'responsibility' shit. Because friendship DOES imply responsibility--of both parties.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right dAAve - life is too short... and I know humans will fail me too. Thanks :)

    'Szat you Don?

    Thx Steve...

    ReplyDelete